Help for adopted adults

Help for adopted adults

Accessing your adoption records


We provide a service for adopted adults who live in the Merseyside region to help access their adoption records.


If you already know your original birth name, when and where you were born, the court where your adoption took place and the name of your birth mother, you can contact PAC UK or a local adoption support agency directly.


Alternatively please contact the Adoption Support team at AiM and we can talk you through the process. You can also contact the General Register Office (GRO) to ask for your birth records.


The GRO will send all relevant information to us, or you can ask for it to be sent to the agency which arranged your adoption.


Tracing and intermediary services


After you have seen your adoption records you may wish to try and trace birth family members. PAC UK can provide a service for this and there will be a cost attached.

If you do not wish to have contact with your birth relatives, you can register a Veto or partial Veto with the agency which arranged the adoption. You can also express a wish for no contact on the Adoption Contact register, via the GRO.


If you were adopted in Merseyside but no longer live in the region, you should seek advice from the local authority in the area where you live about their tracing and intermediary services.